MAY 29, 2020
"I was glad when they said unto me, 'Let us go into the house of the Lord.'" – Psalm 122:1
Psalm 122 is a song of ascents, which means, most likely, the people of God would have sung this as they made their way up to the temple. After ten Sundays of not being able to make our way up to the church building, this Lord's Day, May 31, the doors will open (actually, they will be opened for you!) and never before will the words of that psalm take on such an understandable meaning.
We will offer three services on three platforms:
- 8:00 a.m.
- 9:15 a.m.
- 10:30 a.m.
All three services will be:
- Live in the Worship Center
- Facebook Live (facebook.com/myshbc)
- Livestream on our website (myshbc.com)
With all of this LIVE WORSHIP!, please join us in praying for lots of lives to worship together, whether on campus or online, and for lives to be changed! In order for us to put our minds at ease so that our worship of the one true God is free from distractions, here is information to help you navigate the day:
- Pray for our worship services!
- Remember that worship is not about us, but about God. We join together out of submission to God and submission to one another out of reverence for Christ.
- Be ready to smile, wave, nod approvingly, elbow bump, forearm shiver, give a thumbs up, say "Howdy," or any other number of vocal, cheerful greetings that allow us to kindly and safely welcome all who come.
- Enter through the front porch of the Worship Center. If you need to avoid steps, please use the Welcome Center portico (church office entrance) or the west parking lot entrance near the Hardy Center (youth building).
- Hand sanitizer and face masks will be available. Face masks will not be required, but we encourage everyone to wear one if you so desire. All of our volunteers will be wearing protective masks. We strongly encourage the use of hand sanitizer.
- The doors to the Worship Center will open 15 minutes before each service time. Volunteers will help lead you to a seat. A special tape that leaves no residue is being used to indicate those pews and seats that are available. There will be two empty pews between each available pew. If there is more than one in your household who will be attending, please sit together.
- Children of all ages are welcome to attend. No childcare will be provided. Therefore, we have shortened each service to only about 40 minutes.
- Receptacles to place your offering will be available before and after all three services at each entrance into the Worship Center.
- Before Sunday, be sure and download our church app for your mobile phone. In your phone's app store, search for Southern Hills Baptist Church or Southern Hills Baptist OKC. Through this app, you will be able to access our worship bulletin and online giving.
- Questions, suggestions, or any need that we can help accommodate? Please call us at 405-682-1636! We look forward to welcoming you on campus or online!
MAY 18, 2020
We are coming back on May 31! Yes, you read that correctly. We are excited to b eannouncing that beginning Sunday, May 31, we will be gathering on campus for morning worship only. Sunday and Wednesday evenings will continue to be online only. Pastor Doug shares more details about what you can expect in this week's video update.
MAY 11, 2020
In this week's update, Pastor Doug shares about some of the things that we are thinking through concerning online worship and when we will be able to gather on campus again.
MAY 4, 2020
We continue to take things two weeks at a time. We will be fully online for May 10 and May 17. Pastor Doug also talks about our plans for the National Day of Prayer.
MAY 1, 2020
In this update Pastor Doug addresses summer activities pertaining to our children and youth. All children's and youth activities for the month of June have been canceled or postponed. Our tentative schedule for July is as follows:
- Falls Creek - July 1-4
- Crosstimbers - July 6-9
- Vacation Bible School - July 20-24
SOUTHERN HILLS GIVES BACK!
For a second week in a row, we were able to partner with a local restaurant to bless families in our community. This week we partnered with Cane's on I-240 and South Penn. Every person that came through the drive-thru from 5-7 p.m. heard these words: "Southern Hills bought your dinner tonight!" Watch this video to hear more from Pastor Doug and Christina.
APRIL 27, 2020
APRIL 23, 2020
In light of recent announcements from Governor Stitt and Mayor Holt, many have been asking questions about when we will be able to meet on our church campus again. Pastor Doug gives some insight into all of that in the video below. Please continue to pray for our leaders, both government and church, as they make these decisions. Ask that the Lord would give them wisdom and discernment.
APRIL 20, 2020
APRIL 19, 2020
APRIL 13, 2020
Here's your weekly update from Pastor Doug!
APRIL 9, 2020
Today Pastor Doug talks about:
- Easter Sunday
- Good Friday
- Yard Signs
APRIL 8, 2020
We pray that all is well with you during this time. We want to share some information with you about our Good Friday service that will be on both Facebook Live and myshbc.com. While it may be a difficult season for many, there is still reason to rejoice in the fact that we serve a risen Savior!
On Friday, we will observe the Lord’s Supper together at 6:00 p.m. Although we still aren’t able to gather in person, we desire to observe this ordinance with you, as the Lord Jesus instructed us to do so. Between now and Friday evening, you will need to secure the elements for you and your family. You will need some type of bread and juice.
You can use grape juice or another type of fruit juice. If neither of those are available, you can use tea or water. This liquid element of the ordinance represents the blood of Jesus that was shed on our behalf. This is what we are to remember. For the bread, you can use any type of unleavened bread or cracker. If you would like to make your own bread, here is a simple recipe. This would be a great family activity! Regardless of what you choose to use, we are to remember Christ and how His body was broken for us.
We are praying that this will be a worshipful time for our church family as we continue to prepare our hearts for Easter Sunday. If you have any questions, please reach out to us at 682-1636.
MONDAY, APRIL 6, 2020
THURSDAY, APRIL 2, 2020
- Online giving is now available! Visit myshbc.com/giving for additional information.
- On April 10 we will have an online Good Friday service. Our church family will be observing the Lord's Supper together during this time. Over the next week, we encourage you to gather the elements for your family.
MONDAY, MARCH 30, 2020
- Beginning today, office hours are 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- We are continuing to contact church members. If you would like to help with this, please contact Clint at 682-1636. We can text or email you a list of church members.
- Many of our Sunday School classes are connecting via Zoom. Let us know how you're staying in touch with your small group!
THURSDAY, MARCH 26, 2020
Please let us know if we can be a help to you and your family. Important items to note:
- All administrative assistants are working from home.
- Our support staff and several volunteers have been working on calling all church members. Last week we contacted nearly 600 members who were over the age of 75. This week we began contacting the more than 500 members in the 65-74 age bracket. Now, we are working on 55-64.
- We will close at noon on Friday, March 26. All other office hours are as usual.
MONDAY, MARCH 23, 2020
THURSDAY, MARCH 19, 2020
MONDAY, MARCH 16, 2020
Please watch this video from Pastor Doug concerning our schedule for this next week. A few items to note:
- Midweek Prayer & Bible Study (online only) – Wednesday, March 18 at 6:00 p.m. on Facebook Live.
- Sunday Morning Worship (online only) – streaming live at myshbc.com beginning at 10:00 a.m.
- Jeremiah Bible Study (online only) – the sixth and final session will be made available to you this Sunday at 5:00 p.m.
All of these services will be archived and accessible within an hour of that service’s conclusion. It is important to remember that there will be no gatherings taking place on campus this week. All events have been canceled or postponed. If there is a need that we can meet, please contact the church office at 682-1636. As always, you can submit prayer requests online at myshbc.com/prayer or by calling 682-5678.
THURSDAY, MARCH 12, 2020
“Fear not for I am with thee; be not dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
It is in the hope, comfort and assurance of our God that I come to share information concerning how our church will proceed through the Coronavirus crisis. Your church staff has been praying, discussing and working diligently to seek the Lord’s wisdom in making adjustments and plans to minister to our church family and community. Three non-negotiables have guided our thinking: first, we must do everything possible to ensure the safety of those who come to our campus. If individuals, couples and families do not feel safe, their minds cannot focus on spiritual matters; second, we must heed God’s command to worship Him in spirit and truth as a body of believers and not neglect the gathering of ourselves together; third, as citizens of our city, state and nation, we must submit ourselves to governing authorities and conduct ourselves in a way that promotes peace.
To that end, the following steps already have been taken by your church staff:
- The entire campus is in the process of being thoroughly cleaned, disinfected and sanitized.
- All hand sanitizer dispensers and soap dispensers are being checked to make sure they are full and in working order.
- No food or coffee will be provided during the week or on Sundays until further notice.
- All international mission trips scheduled for this year have been cancelled (with the exception of Indonesia in July). The status of the Indonesia trip is being evaluated on a daily basis.
- The live streaming and archiving of our morning worship services is on an unlimited level which means that as many as are able can watch live or at any time of their choosing.
- The Jubilee Choir Rehearsal set for this Saturday morning (March 14) has been cancelled.
- The Student Ministry Spring Retreat set for this Sunday evening and Monday (March 15-16) has been cancelled.
- We strongly encourage senior adults and those with compromised immune systems to worship with us online.
In addition, please note the following adjustments to our weekly worship schedule:
This Sunday, March 15, we will offer three morning worship opportunities – 8:00, 9:00 and 10:00. The reason for this is two-fold: first, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) is calling for limiting the size of public gatherings to 250 or less; second, by not having Sunday School classes, we are helping people avoid being in close contact in smaller spaces. By offering a third worship opportunity this Sunday morning, we are enabling people to be dispersed throughout a larger worship space and keeping the size of each service to a smaller number. We will offer a Hispanic worship opportunity at 10:00 in the Chapel. In addition, we will offer an evening worship service at 5:00 in the Worship Center. Families are encouraged to bring their children to the worship service as there will be no childcare provided. All children’s choirs are cancelled for this Sunday. Finally, we will offer two video Sunday School lessons (Bible Studies for Life and Explore the Bible) on Facebook for people to access in order to have an opportunity for discipleship. Please click here to watch the morning worship service. Please watch for a Sunday afternoon Facebook post to watch the video Sunday School lesson.
This Wednesday, March 18, we will offer one midweek prayer and worship service at 6:00 in the Worship Center. All other Wednesday activities and rehearsals for March 18 will be cancelled, including the fellowship meal.
We will change our Welcome and Greeting time to encourage worshippers to not move about the Worship Center and avoid handshaking. Our Greeters at entrances and throughout the building will be there to open doors only. Worship bulletins will be placed in several locations for worshippers to pick up. Baskets will be placed at each door into the Worship Center at the conclusion of each service for those who wish to give their tithes and offerings.
Please pray for God’s power and anointing Holy Spirit to be wonderfully evident each time we gather. Please pray for an end to this virus and its effects. Please pray that our church family will be protected and that we will look for opportunities to minister to people and share the Good News of Jesus Christ. Please contact any member of our church staff if we can provide clarification or minister to you in any way. Our church office phone number is 405.682.1636 and our church website is myshbc.com.
“The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble and He knows them who trust in Him.” Nahum 1:7